How to cure indigestion begins with knowing what it is and what causes it. Indigestion is a name used to cover many conditions of the gastro-esophageal tract. Heartburn and indigestion are often terms that are used interchangeably. But indigestion can also cover inflamed or irritated stomachs. The symptoms of indigestion are:
- pain, fullness or discomfort in the upper part of the abdomen
- loss of appetite
- feeling sick
- gas being released
Gas can be released by flatulence, burping or belching. Indigestion is often caused by poor eating habits. Changing these habits is how to cure indigestion.
Natural remedies for heartburn and acid indigestion begin with getting your lifestyle in line.
- Maintaining a healthy weight is the beginning. People who are overweight suffer from indigestion due to internal pressure.
- Exercise should be scheduled before a meal or an hour or more after. Exercise is another form of an indigestion home remedies that you can start with. It is good to bring oxygen and blood to the stomach to aid digestion. But exercising too soon after eating can stir things up too much.
- Meals should be eaten at least two to three hours before bedtime.
- The size of meals should be reduced since heavy meals are a leading contributor to indigestion.
- Diet should be modified to lower the amount of high fat foods being eaten. This is how to cure indigestion.
- High fat foods sit in the stomach longer. Eating them in smaller portions with fruits and vegetables will help.
- Smoking can cause indigestion as well. Quitting or scheduling smoking around meal times is indigestion home remedies.
Knowing how to cure indigestion goes with over the counter medications. There are usually whole aisles in the store devoted to how to cure indigestion. But only some are effective with indigestion. Antacids treat excess acid in the stomach. Most indigestion does not involve excess acid production though, so it is not how to cure indigestion. So antacids may help some but not all sufferers. Various manufacturers offer product to relieve indigestion temporarily. Caution should be taken if you are experiencing long term problems with indigestion. Do not cover the problem up with an OTC medication. See your doctor to find how to cure indigestion if the problems persist.
How to cure indigestion includes lowering your stress levels. Stress can lead to any number of gastrointestinal issues, including indigestion.
- Take measures to reduce the amount of stress you deal with.
- Delegate tasks where possible and cut down on the number of commitments you have.
- Learning how to say No is a big start.
- Regular exercise and taking up hobbies can help as well.
- Keep an active social life and at least a couple of close friends. Being able to talk things out is how to cure indigestion.